[Dixielandjazz] Re: Letter to the Editor

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Mon Aug 14 12:19:12 PDT 2006

I received this reply from Don at the American Rag and must say I am very
disappointed. Enclosed also is my reply.

Jazz Hugs

Judie

----------

Hello Judy:
    Thank you for your  Email.
    I won't be  publishing your letter in The American Rag for two  reasons.
     1.    You're not a subscriber.
     2.    As far as I could tell from my casual observation of your
presence at the festival, you were allowed access throughout the hotel and  every
venue allowed access for people in wheel chairs and  walkers.
    I'm no expert in  ADA rules and regulations, but I know from my personal
observations attending  L.A. Philharmonic concerts at the Disney Concert Hall
and L.A Opera  performances at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion, that both of
these facilities  have a few places within their halls especially set aside for
people in wheel  chairs, but as far as I've been able to see, none of these
are front row seats  in any of the various seating sections, they are all in the
back of those  sections. I sit in the Terrace section at the L.A.
Philharmonic and in  the Loge section at the L.A. Opera and neither of these areas allow
for wheel  chairs in their front rows, but rather a few wheel chair spaces are
available  only in the back rows of each of these sections. I assume when
these few  special spaces are sold-out, other wheel-chaired people have no place
to place  themselves with their chairs, which is also the case for non-wheel
chaired  people like myself. Sold out means sold out for everyone with or
without a  wheel chair.
    Accordingly, if,  as you say in your letter, you intend to buy a Patron
badge next year, I'm  confident Mr. Dieball will make every effort to seat you
along with other  patrons within the patron areas of the venues.

Best regards,
Generating Success  Through Teamwork
Don Jones, Publisher - The American  Rag
News You Can Use About Traditional Jazz and  Ragtime
20137 Skyline Ranch Dr.
Apple Valley, CA  92308-5035

----------

No problem Don. The Mississippi Rag is going to run an  article on seating
for Handicapped and this problem with Festivals. You just  don't seem to
understand what I was trying to say. No one is asking for seating  in the front rows.
I was only talking to my Mother who was seated there, before  the music
started and many people were standing around talking but  what is important is that
the directors of any Festival, need to learn  is the ADA Regulations. In
seating's where those of us in chairs can get to  any part of the venue we do not
have to sit in any designated place as long  as we are able to get into that
section. In this type of seating, where all the  chairs and levels are the
same, we are legally allowed to sit  anywhere.

The fact that they didn't even know that a designated  area for Handicapped
needs to have spaces open so that those in chairs at least  don't have to
remove the seats themselves before sitting, shows that they  don't know or
understand what is needed by law. The law also states that  companion seating must be
provided.

It was very rude for John to yell at me the way he did  but that is not why I
am following up on this problem. It is a problem for many  festivals and the
directors need to learn before they get sued. I will be  taking steps to see
that this doesn't happen again at this festival or any  others but am
disappointed that you would not want to help in this quest. After  all, many are
reaching an age as Jazz Fans where there will be more and more  needing chairs,
scooters and walkers and it is important that the laws are  followed.

Since my mother is a subscriber, maybe I'll ask her to  write a letter for
you but then if your friendship for the directors of this  festival is more
important, there is nothing more I can do. There are other ways  to publish my
opinion in the Jazz communities and I am sure many will be  disappointed when
they learn that you do not wish to help in this  quest.

I attend the Neil Diamond Concert last December and  was given very good
seats and when I made the statement that I hoped no one  could stand up in front
of me, they roped off the three seats directly in front  of me. This was a sold
out concert and yet they took three seats to make  sure I could see the stage.

By law, any concert must offer seating for handicapped  at all price levels
and that would include front row seats if requested and the  price paid.

Jazz Hugs

Judie Bruno

------

Dear Don:

Another point. Your wife seems to be having some  trouble getting around. I
pray that the time will never come when she is in a  wheelchair but if it does,
are you going to be happy, or willing to sit in the  back of the venue as if
you were both second class  citizen's?

Jazz Hugs

Judie