[Dixielandjazz] A final note on the G Man

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Mon Aug 14 11:07:15 PDT 2006

Tom Wiggins wrote:
> Now let he on this fine list that would not welcome Kenny G as a
> special guest to play on his homemade Cd and allow you to use his
> name, throw the first Boulder at him. :))

Actually, I was thinking of producing an unauthorized duet album
featuring me playing over Mr. Gorelick's music.  But gosh darn it, it
just doesn't seem right while he's still alive.  Somebody please call me
the minute he's gone, because I'm sure I've got a blockbuster waiting
for just the right moment.

Not that I'm knocking G's success.  I bet he makes more money from his
saxophone each week than I'm likely to bring in over the next decade.
But as I have stated before on this very forum, commercial or popular
success are not prima facie evidence of artistic merit.  Permit me to
keep my own counsel on this.

And for the record, it's bad enough when people who don't call
themselves jazz musicians get tossed into the same section at Borders,
but what *really* bugs me is the incredible amount of self-indulgent
anti-jazz (which annihilates real jazz on contact) being foisted on the
public by people who should know better.  It's no big mystery why so
many people don't like jazz: they hardly ever hear the *good* stuff!

-- Paul Edgerton