[Dixielandjazz] $100 offered for best definition of jazz

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Mon Aug 14 07:22:46 PDT 2006

To:  Listmates -DJML

Re:  best definition of jazz

Background:  there was a post on DJML "Why Americans Hate Jazz" by a
Japanese man explaining how most Americans don't listen to the music, only
the vocals.  I posted it on a list to some musicians and serious jazzfans.
Jazz pianist and retired advertising executive Ed Butler responded by
offering $100 for the best definition of jazz.  Deadline August 20.  His
address is below.  Please reply directly to him.  I'd appreciate being
copied as I want to be in on the fun!

Thanks.

Norman (whatever your definition of jazz, I still love you) Vickers