[Dixielandjazz] A final note on the G Man

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 15:31:28 PDT 2006

I am sorry Hal but I have to respectfully ( of your personal  Opinion )
  but totally disagree with you as I have seen it in action, especially
when he plays his version of WWW  which many of the  Traditional folks
on this list also  seem to HATE.   I playing just that one song to
fifty or sixty thousand younger audience members a concert is not doing
anything to spread Traditional Jazz then Louis Armstrong is a myth and
never existed anyway. :))

And who says Herb Alpert never had any contributions to spreading some
Traditional Jazz to new audiences?  did you attend his every
performance?  He was a favorite Trumpet player and band leader of mine
for a few years and certainly had an influence on me a young trumpet
player at the time who wanted very much to play like him and Ray
Anthony.   Now don't shoot me because I was young and my only previous
exposure at that time to trumpet players was Rafael Mendez and Maynard
Furgerson, (spell)  once each,  I had not even been hipped to Louis
Armstrong yet.  circa 1961.   Also who knows what else Herb might have
played had he not formed his own record label to play His Kind of
Music.  Maybe he was a starving Dixieland Trumpet player prior to that
trying to get a major record deal to record music that was fading out
of fashion rapidly at that time.

Good popular musicians of any genre certainly spread some influence
about the music they play n o matter what the genre to new audiences,
provided they play to new audiences, which is the key factor in
becoming a financially successful artists and sustaining a viable
career in the music business.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins