[Dixielandjazz] What is Smooth Jazz

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 12:43:32 PDT 2006

Hi Hal:

I suppose we can attribute that to the baby boomers who mostly never
had any exposure of any significance to OKOm or Dixieland Jazz except
maybe some trite band in a pizza parlor once that did nothing for them.
   And as you say wishing to be more sophisticated since they have
pretty much outgrown rock and are trying to be adults and shelter their
own kids from it's dubious less than positive impressions on their new
lifestyle in the suburbs.   They have embraced this alleged More
acceptable music and identify with it as their own for their generation.

I have also noticed being a former rocker myself that as we get older
as musicians we too tend to slide backwards and embrace more cultural
versions of Jazz  since we are mostly to embarrassed to go out and try
to compete in the even more difficult Rock music world against the
millions of twenty somethings having a worse time being heard than even
Dixieland bands.  I know a LOT OF SIXTY SOMETHING FORMER ROCK STAR
sidemen musicians with gold records on the wall that are now playing
Smooth Jazz and getting hit records,  Why?  because the marketing army
at major record labels have also abandoned their former styles of hit
music and they too can't buy airtime or even a recording contract to
play what they invented and do best.

If ANYONE had told me that I would embrace this kind of music and be
playing it forty years ago I would have laughed my A off, now I are one
and loving it and wondering why I did not go this direction forty years
ago.  I have found the answer to that question right here on this list
of many of the same folks who drove me as a young player away from
wanting to be  anything like them musically and attitude wise.

Now my attitude towards those is very simple,  I like you less than I
might like Smooth Jazz or Kenny G for simply personal  musical taste
reasons and nothing else.  I admire him and all like him who have taken
and made great strides to move Jazz and live music forward at all, if
not for them I too  (might) be wearing a red garter belt and straw hat
and be happy to only work one Tuesday night a week  in some small town
playing to ten or thirty people who cared more about whether they got
their anchovies on the pizza than they did about  the music.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint  Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band