[Dixielandjazz] Letter to the Editor

mmckay macjazz at se.rr.com
Sun Aug 13 11:59:14 PDT 2006

I'm on a walker, but spent 3 years in a wheel chair.  Early Jass in
Strongsville, Ohio always went out of their way to accommodate me. I had
been attending for years and was well known by the group and folks just made
way to get me to my assigned spot. (They have rotating tables for patrons.
All are "preferred," but you do move each set, rotating between the 1st, 2nd
& 3rd rows.

I attended Clearwater this last year on a walker (and plan to attend again
this year.) Again, I just sort of fit in where I could. There was no special
seating, but no problems either. It all worked out pretty well.  I was aware
of one lady on a scooter (motorized chair vehicle) at Clearwater, but don't
think I was ever in a session with her. She didn't seem to be having
problems however.

Having said all this, I would certainly support your crusade and would give
a lot of thought to suing the SOBStory that threw you out. He was totally
out of line. If there are "fire laws" then it has to be to accommodate  you,
not remove you.

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated Listener