[Dixielandjazz] Listening to Music, especially smooth jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 12 22:51:04 PDT 2006

Funny how we seem to agree that most folks listen to "words" while musicians
listen to music. Maybe true about the musicians, (is for me) but I am not at
all sure that Americans do not listen to music. I think perhaps that
Japanese kid was a little too narrow minded in his pushing that idea.

Else, how would Kenny G sell 75 million albums of his "instrumental pop"?
Who is buying them, and for what? Certainly not to listen to words.

Could it be that Americans do listen to music? Damn right they do. But they
hear it VERY differently from you and me. And they like what they hear in
Kenny G. Want proof?

Go to Amazon.com and check out the public's reviews of Kenny G. Or if you
don't want to do that, see below quotes. There are many more where these
came from.

---begin quotes

"I'm shocked and furious about what people have said about Kenny G and his
music. For those who appreciate and like Mile Davis, it's OK. I do too. But
please stop putting up big music terms and pretending to be expert. Please
stop fluffing and criticizing Kenny G. Music is meant to be entertaining,
relaxing, and helping us to get away from the outside world. To me, Kenny G
has brought us, one after another, smoothing and soul-touching melodies.
"Songbird", "Sentimental",... These are tunes that have touched our souls
and renewed our minds... To respond to previous reviews, is it really that
important to draw the line between pop and/or jazz? Why do people have to
pinpoint and fault-find and throw out all these pot shots? Kenny G stands
for great music for me, and many fans."

"His way especially with the ladies make his music excellent background for
those special "parties for two", good background for light conversation,
dancing, and whatever."

"Although Kenny G does have a lot of negative feedback, if you are after
lovely, relaxing, pure and just beautiful music then this is definitely what
you want.

"It is good music, and just because many of you who say this man has no
talent are probably jealous that you can't even play the triangle in tune.
He may not be the greatest musician in the world, but he sure can play a
mean sax."

"This music is like fine wine, you develop a taste for this classic with
age. I never saw the movie but the soundtrack is worth 5 stars. This music
is larger than any one artist, so for those juveniles who dislike Kenny G
please restrain yourself."

-----end

Bottom line?

Perhaps we don't like Kenny G. Fine, that's our ears. But millions of others
do. Fine also, that's their ears. It appears from many reviews that they
listen to relax. Maybe not too differently from me when I would turn my
radio on with its 60 minute timer at night and fall asleep listening to
"real" Jazz.

Is G Jazz? Why get our knickers in a knot about that, especially since the G
man him self claims it is "instrumental pop", while we opine that nobody
listens to instrumental music. Huh?????

Either way, whether Jazz or Pop, the man has a listening audience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone