[Dixielandjazz] Kenny G calls it . . .

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Sat Aug 12 17:12:18 PDT 2006

> I think the problem lies with the way the music is marketed.  Record
stores
> and radio stations call it "smooth jazz," and I think that's where a lot
of
> us make the mistake of pinning it on the players.

I may have said this before but I think it is ignorance on the part of the
sellers/promoters/whatever.

It ain't rock, it ain't folk, it ain't classical, it ain't country. What's
left?
It must be jazz because we don't really understand it.

Elevator music is elevator music. They can call it smooze jazz or white
noise or background music. It is there in the background not to be noticed.

Jazz is a music you listen to, especially with your feet. The public don't
give a rat's axx about chord progessions or key changes etc.

I think they are told something is jazz so they buy it on impulse, find they
don't like it and come to the conclusion they don't like jazz. What they
mean is they don't like elevator music or whatever has been mis-named as
jazz

Phil O'Rourke
Australia