[Dixielandjazz] Elevator Music - Jazz?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 10 14:49:15 PDT 2006

I asked:

> How about we come up with another name for "Smooth Jazz?"

Paul Edgerton replies:

How about my favorite: "Fuzak"

I think that smooth jazz is mainly homogenized fusion, which is itself a
mix of jazz, rock and possibly latin music. Some of it is merely
ear-candy; the instrumental music equivalent of a motivational poster.
And some of it is good, subtle music with extra attention to production
values.  Most of it has more to do with instrumental pop music than with
jazz.

Improvisation is usually limited to the solo instrument and then only in
certain passages.  Many of the artists are quite competent improvisers,
but that's not really what they are being paid to do.

Fuzak is today's Tijuana Brass.
(snip)

Good one Paul.  I like it.

--Bob Ringwald