[Dixielandjazz] Another strange gig courtesy of the Sheik

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Aug 8 16:33:43 PDT 2006

I enjoyed that one.  About 1985 I was working with a band called Group 3.
Basically a trio with a female vocalist.  We got a job at Lake of the Ozarks
at a very posh resort.  If you have seen the movie "The Gig" you know
exactly what we were doing.  It turns out that the owner who booked us
through an agency had sold out.  The new bar manager had completely
different ideas about music.

Again we had a contract and had to finish it out but the owner picked out
about a dozen tunes from our list and that's all we could play.  When we
finished the list we started at the beginning again.  His theory was a new
crowd would come in every half hour or so.  The guests at the resort loved
the band on the first night and hated us the rest of the week.  The people
coming in on boats were looking for C & W and they hated us too.  The week
was miserable and the resort staff must have been told they didn't have to
do anything for us.  The first night was fun but we couldn't wait to get out
of there after it all hit the fan.  The music we were playing at the time
was a mix of contemporary jazz, pop tunes and some oldies.  At the end of
this fiasco the guy complained to the agent that we couldn't hold a crowd.
DUH!!!
Larry Walton
St. Louis