[Dixielandjazz] Jumping the shark (was flatulence)

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 15:29:16 PDT 2006

Listmates,

I earlier wrote (in response to Edgerton's use of the phrase, "Jump the
shark"):

>"Jumped the shark?"

I realized as soon as I hit the "send" button that I was premature.  I
didn't follow my number one rule - to wit: "When in doubt, Google!"

A 1.5 minute google revealed all including the explanation of the the
phrase's origin - Fonzie jumps over a shark while water skiing which marked
the turning point of "Happy Days."  It was downhill all the way after that.

This discovery made me realize that most of the pop culture "with it"
expressions become old, dated and obsolete by the time I become aware of
them.

This is the story of my life - I've never been "hip" or even "hep" - Even my
interest in OKOM did not get kindled untill after the revival had fizzled
and died and that the best thing that could ever be said about OKOM by "with
it" people is that it's "quaint."

To quote my grandson "Look at those funny old folks out there on the dance
floor. Is that cute or what!"

Ah well . . . screw 'em!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Twenty three skidoo" Gunter