[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Aug 8 09:32:04 PDT 2006

About 1961 I was playing a steady gig in Cairo Illinois at a Strip joint
late session (midnight to 3 a.m.)  We did a couple of dance sets after the
shows.  The Rodeo was in town and this guy came up to the band and wanted to
sing.  He was about the largest man I had ever seen.  He was about 6'3 or 4
and was built like Arnold Schwarzenegger.  He was pretty drunk too.  I asked
him if he knew Lullaby of Birdland and he said yes.  You know I have never
heard that tune yodeled before or since.
Larry Walton
St. Louis