[Dixielandjazz] From the TPIN

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 8 08:31:58 PDT 2006

Hi Listmates...gleaned from the TPIN (Trumpet Players International Network), another list that I'm on...
Leon Marion is one of the all-time great trumpet players...over 80 years old now, and still playing down in Florida...one of the main GURUS on the TPIN...
Bob Romans
http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/Pages/hotstories/hotstories.asp?1170

Check him out...

From: "Leon Merian"
Subject: [TPIN] An Important Observation
  In my most humble opinion, I sincerely believe that one of
the major ingredients in outstanding music is as much
about the SPACE between the notes as it is about the notes
themselves......and in due respect to all of the many fine, talented,
upcoming young players out there today, I am finding less and less of this
*major and most important * ingredient. At the risk of sounding like an old
f--t, what are
so many of these younger dudes trying to prove by playing  so many notes  in
the shortest time possible ?
              Let's leave some room for your gorgeous SOUND
to come through. Isn't that what it's all about?
Playing with a good sound [tone] should prevail whatever
type of music one is playing.
              Any notes that come from the trumpet are completely
meaningless unless they are accompanied by a good sound. Playing with"
quality " sound is the responsibility of the player. No amount of reading,
discussion etc is an effective substitute. Maybe one of the reasons that
there is no space left between the notes is
because of the lack of having a good sound. It is easy to cover up a
displeasing sound by not allowing "this" sound to come through.
Let's get our SOUND together you guys !!! Especially from an instrument
whose natural sound is of such a noble quality and which is most capable of
producing such a beautiful sound .........
        I just finished listening to 3 CDs that a couple of TPINers recently
sent me and I simply couldn't get over the most displeasing sounds of these
players which I will {courteously} leave anonymous. However, I must admit
that I was impressed with their technique. Keep honkin' you guys and
gals.........Sincerely, Leon Merian