[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Aug 7 08:26:27 PDT 2006

jcblegen at sbcglobal.net wrote:

>Another strange one just popped into my memory.  This is probably the earliest gig I've ever
>had.  I got a call from a local piano player (who acted as contractor on this thing but didn't
>play) to be at a hotel in downtown Chicago at 7:30 a.m. wearing a red vest.  When I arrived,
>I was ushered into a room where the other bandmembers were gathering.  I think there were
>about eight of us, and I remember that Ted Butterman was on trumpet and Dave Remington
>was on trombone.  There was also a very short young woman who was in the process of
>putting on a Mickey Mouse costume.  A brusque, elaborately coifed woman came and and
>told us what we were to do: march after Mickey Mouse playing the Mickey Mouse march.  It
>was a Disney sales meeting, and we were apparently there to set the tone.  "This," said
>Remington, "is why I went to the conservatory."  We were cued, we marched, we left.  A
>true Mickey Mouse gig.

Remington says the same today -- we played a twosome gig - he on Moog
and I on cornet at an ice cream emporium in
Benzonia, MI several years ago. Dave teaches at Interlochan Arts
Academy, but still takes a gig or two on the  side. This was one of them.
Don Ingle
Somewhere in relatively (so far) developed northwoods.