[Dixielandjazz] New info on the Yama Yama Man thread

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Aug 6 16:32:54 PDT 2006

Hi all,

If you remember back a while we had a thread on the subject of the
Yama Yama Man song and how it related to The Boogy Man." I was
watching an interesting TV show on Discovery Channel called "The
Worst Jobs in History"
  ( http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/W/worstjobs/
index.html ) and they were looking at what a ship engine stoker did
back in the coal power days. Stokers were usually "Blacks" (from the
coal dust and usually by race.)To prevent being burned while they
stoked the boilers they would often wear wet burlap "gunny
sacks" (with eye holes cut out.)

This is also also a common description of the Boogyman (or Yama Yama
Man...)

anyway, the things we learn ;-)

Dave Richoux