[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 6 10:08:42 PDT 2006

Here are 2 out of many in my memory bank.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

1) This gig was only "strange" in today's context of kids & music.

It occurred in 1957 at Hamilton College in upstate New York. The Beale
Street Stompers, a Dixieland Band from Long Island, went there to play a
weekend gig sponsored by several Fraternities. In addition to our Dixieland
Band, they had booked a Rock & Roll Band fronted by 2 guitars. We were to
alternate sets.

We went first and got a tremendous crowd reaction from the kids. Then the
R&R band came on and got roundly booed. Finally, two guys doused them with
pitchers of beer and that ended their performance.

We played double duty for the remainder of the weekend.

2) This gig occurred in the late 50s or early 60s. The Southampton Dixie
Racing and Clambake Society Jazz Band (SDRCS) was playing a Saturday night
gig in Southampton Long Island at Herb McCarthy's Bowden Square Restaurant,
a posh supper club from 9PM to Midnight.

At 11:45 PM, an immaculately dressed young man came in and asked if ewe
would play a private party in Water Mill (next town over) for two hours,
from 121:30 AM to 2:30 AM. $100 per man. Sure, we said and got directions.

Pull up in front of a beautiful modern house on the pond in Water Mill,
large circular driveway, 2 Bentley's and 2 Lincoln Continental's parked in
front.

We ring the bell, and a guy in a red dinner jacket, drink in hand motions us
in and and leads us to the 50 by 30 foot living room. Steinway concert grand
in perfect tune (tough in a seashore environment), paintings on the walls by
Raoul Dufy, Bernard Buffet, Jackson Pollack, Joan Miro and Paul Klee. 7
other people at the party besides Red Dinner Jacket.

We played the 2 hours and they loved it. Red Dinner Jacket sang "Up The Lazy
'Liver'" with drink in hand. His wife and piano man Teddy Prochazka while on
break have a long discussion about art, over Cognac at an antique table. Red
Jacket serves us drinks, and directs me to bathroom which has gold plated
fixtures., etc., etc., etc.

Red Dinner Jacket was Henry Ford II, Party was for Robert McNamara who was
leaving Ford Motor Company to work in Government service. Not sure who the
other two couples were. (eight in audience, eight in band) No visible
servants, though snacks (caviar etc) were present. Mr. Ford acted as
bartender and as folks like Don Ingle know, was a huge Dixieland fan and
loved to sing that "Lazy Liver" song.

Seems that at 11 PM, after dinner, Ford had instructed his gofer to "round
up that Dixieland Band at Bowden Square and bring them over." Gofer then
stayed out of sight until we left when he handed us our money in crisp one
hundred dollar bills.

Nice gig, extra $100 per man tip, interesting to see the art and furnishings
of Ford's summer home. And a good lesson in figuring out that the rich and
famous, as well as the rich and anonymous liked Dixieland in those days.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Those rich folks still love Dixieland and American Songbook today. And
they still have parties which account for about half of our yearly earnings.
Best of all, they have a certain admiration for jazz musicians which makes
them very easy to talk to.