[Dixielandjazz] San Fransisco Yeti Chasers

Mike Meddings mike at doctorjazz.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 09:41:57 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I don't manage to get out and attend many 'live' jazz events.   There are
exceptions though, when I make the effort to travel several hundred miles to
see Butch Thompson when he appears in Woking, Surrey, UK.

On Friday, August, 4th I travelled up for the Starbucks  Edinburgh
International Jazz and Blues Festival to see the San Francisco Yeti Chasers,
a group which featured some of the leading classic jazz musicians in San
Francisco.

All top class players, most of whom have an extraordinary knowledge and
facility in playing the early forms of jazz --- but see the group as a way
of playing it for fun.   Leon Oakley (cornet), Richard Hadlock (reeds), Ray
Skeljbred (piano) and Clint Baker (guitar), made a very rare trip to the UK.
On bass was the Scot, Roy Percy.

The event was very well supported and the capacity crowd who packed the
Spiegeltent really appreciated some fine jazz music.   The Spiegeltent was
arranged complete with tables and chairs with booths in horse-shoe shape in
a beautiful wooden tent.

An extra special bonus for me was meeting up with Larry Gushee, who made the
trip along with Dick Hadlock.

Musically yours

Mike

www.doctorjazz.co.uk/