[Dixielandjazz] strange giggers - the worst

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Fri Aug 4 15:49:37 PDT 2006

On the opposite end of the temperature gage we played a concert on the
deck of a Battleship.  I'm glad I didn't join the Navy.  Man was that
hot

Try going across the equator on November 4, and the outside temp is 105
degrees.  As part of the "Shell Back" ceremony, the band had been
instructed to sing (that's right SING!) "Four ruffles and flourishes"
followed by "Anchors Aweigh," announcing the arrival on board of Davy
Jones. Being smart assed musicians, we chose to sing the Marine Hymn
instead.  Wrong choice!!!  The bass player, who wasn't too stable
anyway went off the deep end and literally cracked up from the beating.
  Where are those "sea lawyer's when you need them?
But when you look back on it,  it was pretty funny!
later,
rf

Randy Fendrick,
Southside Chicago Seven