[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gig

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 3 15:14:04 PDT 2006

Sometime in the mid 60s, my band the Fulton Street Jazz Band, was hired to
play for a John Birch Society picnic in the town of Lodi, about 40 miles
south of Sacramento, California.

The first thing that seemed rather strange about the gig was, during the
bands breaks, military (Hitler type) march music was played over the P.A.
system.  It was definitely not Sunday afternoon (picnic in the park)
atmosphere.

The strangest thing though was the prize for their raffle.  It was not what
you would expect to be given away at a picnic in the park on a Sunday
afternoon.  It was not a free trip for two to Disneyland, a color
television, Webber BBQ, or gift certificate to the local hardware store.  It
was a huge rifle with the biggest telescopic sights you have ever seen.

I always wondered, why would an extreme right-wing, (some people would say
radical) political organization be giving away a rifle with telescopic
sights???

Needless to say, our banter from the band stand between numbers did not even
get close to anything political.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

 A good friend will help you move.
a REALLY good friend will help you move a body.