[Dixielandjazz] Unusual Gigs

jcblegen at sbcglobal.net jcblegen at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 3 04:28:32 PDT 2006

About ten years ago I was on a gig with Jim Clark's band in Chicago Heights, IL.  The gig
was a union picnic at the Ford Stamping Plant there, and we were supposed to play outside.
Rain, however, began to fall, and we were quickly moved INSIDE the plant, about 50 feet in
front of a conveyer belt carrying scrap metal.  The plant was operating, of course, and I
noticed signs about wearing protective gear for the ears.  There were tours of the plant, and
people would troop by the band, moving in time to the music until they got about 15 feet
away from us and couldn't hear us anymore.  The din was overwhelming.  And it was a
SEVEN HOUR gig.  My ears rang for days afterwards.

John Blegen
jcblegen.com
blog.jcblegen.com