[Dixielandjazz] Sight & Sound was John Cage reinterpretation

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 2 06:51:22 PDT 2006

Yes Bob, perhaps they watched Fantasia. Glad to see a discussion of the
question posed in paragraph 2 the original post rather than the merits, (or
not) of John Cage's music, or lack thereof. :-) VBG.

For those too young to remember, Fantasia was a Disney Animated Movie,
featuring several stories, set to  accompanying classical music scores. It
was HUGE hit. I saw it as a child and loved a vignette featuring Mickey
Mouse entitled "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and still vividly remember the
music that went with it. There was also a neat vignette on dinosaurs and the
environment millions of years ago.

Sight & Sound, an interesting presentation mix. Then again, would 4'33" be
accompanied by a blank screen? Or perhaps the face of your favorite
politician looking at you with hollow eyes and a blank stare? :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone (who also remembers how much Dixieland there was accompanying
cartoons way back when)

><robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote, in answer to the original post below:

> Steve, it sounds very much to me as though David Phillips and Paul Rowley
> had been watching Walt Disney's "Fantasia".
>
> I'll bet the Walt Disney animators could have a ball with
> "4' 33"".

Original Post:

Slightly off topic, but involving John Cage, who has been discussed a few
times on this forum. Plus, a thought that music, when presented live,
involves sight as well as sound.

Would it be appropriate to present OKOM with such sight lines? Think of the
possibilities. :-) VBG.

When Barbone Street performs at Sydney's, we are on closed circuit TV that
is visible in the back room where extra tables have been set up. Perhaps we
could show something else on the TV? Like Jackie Gleason zooming around
while we play "That's A Plenty"? Or scenes from "Jungle Book" when we play
"Tiger Rag"?

Or perhaps some slinky, sexy scene, like Duke had at the Cotton Club, JRM
when he was a whorehouse pianist, or Bechet with Josephine Baker? :-) VBG.

(Followed by a NY Times article about a 1948 John Cage work presented with a
giant movie screen in the background showing various vignettes while the
music was played.) Snipped for brevity.