[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 44, Issue 2

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 1 12:18:22 PDT 2006

> Dan Spinkl DWSI at aol.com wrote
>
> The most interesting question to me is, why do academics race to embrace
> John Cage and all the other 20th century "composers" who focus on making noise
> rather than music? Just to capture my share of modern fame, I'm currently
> working on a rondo for leaf blowers that I'm certain will be praised as "break
> through" by the intellectual set. I just can't imagine why anyone would want
> to listen to it.

Perhaps for the exact same reasons the mass audience raced to embrace
Dixieland Jazz with all those early bands focused on making noise like
barnyard animals, braying, cackling and also using train whistles, gunshots,
washboards and other noise making apparatus, plus hokum, and ridiculous
costumes. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone