[Dixielandjazz] Re: Pizza Parlours

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Apr 29 20:46:25 PDT 2006

DJML and Burt--
     Amen to that, brother.  I bought a copy from Burt a couple of
Sacramentos ago and got him to autograph it for me.  It's not only
well written, but intersting and humorous and informative about those
times decades ago in California.
     Actually, Shakey had a very large influence on me.  In the early
1960s i was going to the University of Nevada in Reno, and there used
to be a radio program called "Shakey's Whoopee Hour" that i listened
to every chance i got.  Not only did they play cuts of bits by the
latest comedians (Shelley Berman, Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, etc.), but
they played a lot of dixieland and other great stuff.  There's no
show like it any more that i know of.
     Come to think of it, Shakey's is also responsible for my liking
anchovies.  I (and other dissolute reprobates, i.e., musicians) used
to spend a lot of time at the Shakey's in west Reno drinking beer and
eating pizza, and it came to pass that the only thing i could still
taste after drinking three pitchers of beer was the anchovies.
There's also the times that good ol' Barrie Moore (departed from this
plane of existence 30 years ago), all 6-foot-6 and 350 pounds of him,
used to win bets at Shakey's by opening his throat and pouring down
an entire pitcher of beer at once.  Then he would blithely smuggle
three or four empty pitchers out of Shakey's under his voluminous
jacket without any of the staff being able to tell.  He was also the
one who, because he was too big to march (no uniform would fit, and
he played bassoon anyway), was put in charge of distributing the
uniforms to the band.  One so-called wit (about half) in the band
asked him how to tell what size of spats to wear (but there was only
one size), and without missing a beat Barrie said, "Simple, just
measure your tibia and divide by two."  Ah, the good old days of
Shakey's . . .

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid
**      than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain