[Dixielandjazz] Re: Pizza's How much dough

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 28 21:17:38 PDT 2006

Folks--
     It may depend (as almost everything does) on where you are.
     I played a 3-hour gig tonight (5-piece band) in beautiful
downtown Hutto, Texas (population about 2,000), about 20 miles
northeast of Austin, with a very real threat of severe thunderstorms,
large baseball-size hail, and damaging winds likely in the area, at
Maggiore's Pizza and Wings, and got good money for it, plus free
pizza, wings, and multiple pitchers of beer.  It was the first time
(FIRST TIME) the owner had ever done this, and he thought it was
great.  The place was packed.  Toward the end, we even had dancers,
which energized the crowd even more.
     On the other hand, down in big ol' Austin i used to play in a
dixieland band at a pizza place, and the response was lukewarm, and
it ended.  Answer?  Depends (as we older folks say and sometimes
wear).
     One thing is sure, as Steve and Tom and others keep saying, is to
keep at it.  Who knew that Hutto (home of the "Hutto Hippos" football
team) might be a hotbed of dixieland fans and venues?

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid
**      than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain