FW: [Dixielandjazz] Jackie Gleason Show Bands

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Fri Apr 28 16:27:34 PDT 2006

A couple of quick comments:

1)  Sammy Spear became Gleason's orchestra leader on the variety show
sometime after the run in the early '50s that ended when Gleason decided to
film "The Honeymooners" and present the Dorsey Brothers on "Stage Show."
Heck, I can even hear Gleason's introduction of Ray Bloch:  "And here he is,
the flower of the musical world, Ray Bloch!  Take a bow Ray."  [Ray nods his
head a couple of times to the accompaniment of the drummer.]

2) Pee Wee Erwin and Charlie Ventura performed on at least one of those
Gleason albums, "Movie Themes for Lovers Only" or something like that.  I
have that LP in my possession in a record cabinet somewhere in my house.

Hal Vickery