[Dixielandjazz] Turntable question

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Fri Apr 28 12:41:37 PDT 2006

Hello John

Congratulations on your new turntable.

I think (being Sony) MD/TAPE 2 is intended for MiniDisc and cassette
players. These require a higher output gain than PC's. My turntable (not
Sony) runs through the PRE-OUT (Pre-amplifier output), but this is a fairly
high gain for my PC. I have to use no gain on the Audacity program that I
use.
I'm intrigued by the AV/DVD sockets (presumably Audio-Visual/Direct Video
Disc). I can only assume that these sockets are for direct play through a TV
or a DVD player. I would think that this is a fairly high-gain output, and
not suitable for the audio card in the PC.

I would therefore recommend that you couple your turntable via the PRE-OUT
sockets. This should give an acceptable listening level on the PC
loudpeakers when the gain control is set to about 10% of maximum gain.

If the signal is distorted, then you may need a turntable adapter to reduce
the output gain.

Good luck!

Bob Smith