[Dixielandjazz] Re: Teagarden & the boppers.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 27 16:07:38 PDT 2006

Regarding: >a really great recording set  originally put out about 1952 on
the long since defunct Urania label, now remastered on CD.<

Dear LRG,
I had forgotten about that LP.
I have the Musidisc LP version and it now on the turntable for old times'
sake.
Great stuff, even for a 'mouldie' like me.
They don't play stuff like this nowadays, notwithstanding good intentions.
(Duck Bill!)
I certainly go along with your friend's comment "BTW,  that CD has the BEST
jam version of "Lover" I have every heard.  It is 12 minutes long and there
is lots of solo room for everyone.  T takes about  three different
choruses."

Here, for those who may be interested, are the session details.

Jack Teagarden and His Orchestra
Ruby Braff, t; Jack Teagarden, tb,vcl; Sol Yaged, cl; Lucky Thompson, ts;
Kenny Kersey, p; Sidney Gross, g; Milt Hinton, sb; Denzil Best, d.
New York. October 1954
    The Christmas Song  (jt v)
    St. James Infirmary  (jt v)
    Blue and Esoteric  (jt v)
    After You've Gone  (jt v)
    Stars Fell on Alabama  (jt v)
    A Hundred Years From Today  (jt v)
    Lover

It is currently available [minus "The Christmas Song"] on Fresh Sounds CD
1607 'Accent on Trombone'.
Worlds Records have it in stock at US$16.00.
Which is a bit expensive for only 43 minutes of music!
Kind regards,
Bill.