[Dixielandjazz] Teagarden and the boppers

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 27 13:32:24 PDT 2006

From: LRG4003 at aol.com wrote (polite snip)

> I have read in numerous places that  Teagarden was loved by literally all
> jazz musicians regardless of their  style.  I know that Dizzy had nothing but
> good things to say about  him.  I also have a story about how Jack and Maynard
> Ferguson knew each  other!  It reminds me of the story about Charlie Parker
> who, in the  very early 1950's, was known to make a point of watching the old
> Jackie  Gleason show so that he could listen to Tommy Dorsey.  (Tommy and
> Jimmy Dorsey fronted the band for that TV show.)  Parker is on record as
> saying that he had great respect for Dorsey as a trombonist and musician.
> Interesting how the really great jazzers often did not seem to make too much
> of the lines that separate the various  styles.

Amen. Most creative musicians respect the different genres of jazz and music
generally. e.g. The alleged friction, between Dizzy and Pops, was false and
created by the media. They were friends and neighbors in Corona NY.

Charlie Parker loved ALL Music. You'd walk down the street with him in NYC
and he'd stop in front of a joint playing Country & Western. "Do you hear
what they are doing?" he'd say. That night or the next it would appear in
his solo lines.

As the quote from the liner notes of Randy Reinhart's latest CD says: "Jazz
is a big tent. There's room for everything from 'repertory'- oriented
ensembles who studiously recreate earlier performances to major musicians
who create new music in various idioms of jazz." -Will Friedwald's liner
notes from Arbors CD 19313, "As Long As I Live"  Randy Reinhart and friends.

Mr. Friedwald places Randy, Kenny Davern and the rest of the musicians on
the record as those "major musicians who create new music". Listening to the
CD makes that apparent.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone