[Dixielandjazz] San Jose Jazz Festival

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 27 12:55:13 PDT 2006

David Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote (polite snip) in answer to a
post about trying to book San Jose Fest since they had a New Orleans Theme.

> There have been many local OKOM bands that have tried in the past and
> it was a most impossible path. They were so reluctant to have
> anything except "new jazz" and "latin jazz" and "big name mainstream
> jazz" headliners...

No doubt. The situation is the same all over. But that doesn't mean we
OKOMers should quit trying to get booked at modern jazz festivals. I was
rebuffed for 10 years by them. And then, one magical day, after repeated new
approaches, Barbone Street was booked by; Berks Jazz Festival, Clifford
Brown Jazz Festival, Rehoboth Jazz Festival and West Chester University Jazz
Festival. . . all modern jazz festivals.

Persistence pays off . . . after all man had been trying to fly for about
600 years before the Wright Brothers finally did. Twas also impossible, and
had been tried many times before. Like my first boss said to me, a fledging
salesman who couldn't close a deal with a certain customer; "Well, dammit,
KEEP TRYING.

Especially since San Jose is marketing "New Orleans" for 2006.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone