[Dixielandjazz] Pugé and Washboard

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 11:57:14 PDT 2006

Hello Ted,

You asked about the Pugé and the Washboard.  They are not related at all.

The Pugé is a member of the brass family and, as such, is an instrument that
can only produce the ugliest of sounds . . . blasts and blats and growly
stuff - ugh!

A washboard, on the other hand, is a magnificent, sensitive instument
capable of playing a wide range of beautiful sounds which fall lovingly on
the ear. In addition, it is a visually appealing instrument and when played
in a musical group, be it a small dixieland combo or a large symphonic
orchestra, it evokes feelings of joy and admiration in the audience.

This is a purely objective observation and is in no way to be considered a
biased statement on my part.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com