[Dixielandjazz] OKOM IN NEW YORK CITY

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 27 06:41:36 PDT 2006

?g?st H El?asson <agel at itn.is>

> Listmates,
> I'm off for NY City on Friday and will be staying for 10 days. Please tell me
> where I find the best OKOM.
> Thanks - and Cheers,
> Agust an old Wild Bill fan in Iceland.

Dear Agust:

OKOM in NYC? Nah this music is dead, bring records.:-) VBG

Check out the following and call ahead just in case the venues are full.
MANY other jazz joints in the  Big Apple, but these are the best (IMO) for
Dixieland and Big Band Swing. Have a great 10 days.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

The Cajun       - OKOM EVERY NIGHT FROM DIXIELAND TO BIG 20s ERA DANCE BANDS
129 8th Avenue  - STANLEY'S WASHBOARD KINGS ON TUES NIGHT ARE ALWAYS TOPS.
212-691-6174

Charlie O's     - DIXIELAND MONDAY NIGHT
1611 BROADWAY   - BIG BAND SWING TUESDAY

Arthur's Tavern - OKOM EVERY NIGHT
57 Grove St.    - ED POLCER ON SUN NIGHTS  Say hello to Polcer for me.

Cafe Carlyle    - WOODY ALLEN'S N.O. JAZZ BAND MONDAY NIGHTS
Madison & 76th  - EXPENSIVE BUT THEN WOODY IS IN DEMAND
212-570-7189    - SUGGEST RESERVATIONS

Madame Romaine de Lyon Restaurant - KEITH INGHAM ON PIANO MON-SAT NIGHTS
29 East 61st Street               - 6 PM to 10PM during dinner

Arturo's        - TRAD JAZZ EVERY NIGHT + SUNDAY JAZZ BRUNCH
106 W. Houston St.
212-677-3920

Donnell Library - GOTHAM JAZZMEN THURSDAYS 12:30-2:00 PM FREE Good Dixieland
20 W. 53 ST.    - free Say hello to my 1950s gig buddy, drummer Dick Sherman
in auditorium     longest running Dixieland gig in NYC 28 years now.

Shelley's       - TRAD JAZZ WED-SAT
104 W. 57TH ST
212-245-2422

Birdland        - DAVID OSTWALD'S GULLY LOW (DIXIELAND) MONDAYS 5:30
315 W 44TH ST
212-581-3080

IRIDIUM         - 90 YEAR OLD GUITARIST LES PAUL ON MONDAY NIGHTS. THIS IS
1650 Broadway     ALWAYS A GREAT SHOW WITH PEOPLE COMIN BY TO PLAY.
212-582-2121

Jacque-Imo's    - SMITH ST. SOCIETY JAZZ BAND FOR SUNDAY BRUNCHES NOON-3PM
366 Columbus Ave  SAY HELLO TO BRUCE McNICHOL FOR ME.

Sweet Rhythm    - FRANK (Vignola) AND JOE (Ascione) SHOW - SUNDAYS
88  7TH AVE       Uusally a quartet like Grapelli/Django swing.
212-255-3626

Il Valentino Restaurant  -  SOL YAGED (YEP, THE OLD CLARINETIST LIVES ON)
330 E. 55th St.          -  TUES - SAT
212-355-0001

Cookin w/Jazz   - BRUCE McNICHOL's MUSKRAT JAZZ BAND FRIDAYS 8:30 PM
1201 154TH ST     (say hello to Bruce for me)
(QUEENS)
718-767-6979