[Dixielandjazz] San Jose Jazz Fest goes to New Orleans as well

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Apr 26 17:10:27 PDT 2006

It was a "Free" festival in the past, but now there will be a minimal
charge event...
still not any true OKOM except maybe Kermit Ruffins (Never has been
and in previous years, as far as I can remember.)

Dave Richoux
===================================

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/14431204.htm
Sounds of New Orleans will mark S.J. Jazz Festival

By Richard Scheinin
Mercury News
People like to say the San Jose Jazz Festival is the city's biggest
party, as well as a major benchmark on the culture front. Well, this
year, from Aug. 17 to 20, the party is really coming to the forefront
as the festival wraps itself in a New Orleans banner with headliners
including Dr. John, the Neville Brothers, trumpeter Kermit Ruffins
and swamp-rock guitarist Sonny Landreth.

Coming just shy of a year after Hurricane Katrina, it will be ``a
good time to help out some of the New Orleans musicians and to remind
people of where the music comes from,'' says Geoff Roach, the New
Orleans native who runs the San Jose Jazz Society, which stages the
festival.

``I also think a large part of having a festival like this is having
fun, and something I always associate with New Orleans is having
people of all sorts of colors, creeds and backgrounds getting out and
having a blast.''

The festival -- technically it's the Comcast San Jose Jazz Festival
presented by Southwest Airlines -- also is likely to go through a
metamorphosis of sorts this summer, its 17th. Until now, it always
has been a free event, billing itself as the world's largest free
jazz festival. (One caveat: The festival's gala kickoff,
traditionally on a Thursday night, this year featuring Ruffins and
his group the Barbecue Swingers at Santana Row, always is a paid event).

This summer, as Roach has said, there probably will be a $5 charge --
one charge, covering all the music on Friday, Saturday and Sunday --
in order to keep the festival in the black and possibly to generate
much-needed extra funds for the society's year-round music education
mission in the schools. The society's board of directors is expected
to approve the change this week.

The $5 charge has been under consideration for a while now and ``the
more this sinks in, the more people say, `No big deal,' '' Roach
says. ``Where else in the world can you see this quality of music for
this type of money? The Neville Brothers for $5?''

Still, free is free, and it remains to be seen whether an admission
charge, if enacted, will have an impact on the turnout. Last year,
about 160,000 people attended the festival.

Roach is still signing acts for the festival's nine downtown stages,
which feature straight-ahead to big band and Latin jazz as well as
blues and salsa.

Among other artists signed to appear are saxophonist Bud Shank,
pianist Eldar, B-3 organist Dr. Lonnie Smith, the Spanish Harlem
Orchestra, trumpeter Tom Harrell (with Serbian guitarist Rale Micic),
percussionist Pete Escovedo (with the group Mambo Tropical), steel
drummer Andy Narell (with the band Sakesho), pianist Bill Mays,
saxophonist Anton Schwartz and vocalist Roberta Gamberini.

Thus far, the schedule seems somewhat tilted toward pop (Dr. John,
the Nevilles) and music that floats around the periphery of jazz.
Shank, Harrell, Mays and some of the others are significant players.
But a jazz-heavyweight critical mass has yet to be reached: What
about players on the order of Jimmy Heath, James Moody, Geri Allen,
Ray Barretto, Mulgrew Miller and Greg Osby, who all graced the
festival's stages the past several years?

Likewise, the ``Jazz Beyond'' stage at San Jose Rep last year
featured a pair of groundbreaking groups: pianist Jason Moran and
Bandwagon, and the Bad Plus; each packed the Rep with a youthful
crowd, and the music pushed the envelope in devilishly smart and
entertaining ways.

This year's lineup will include No Jazz, a group from Paris that
brings funk and hip-hop to bear on jazz; it's the only ``beyond'' act
yet announced.

Roach promises to fill in the blanks. Meanwhile, he talked about the
key acts so far signed to appear this year on the Main Stage in the
Plaza de Cesar Chavez. (Friday's Main Stage schedule has yet to be
announced):

Saturday, Aug. 19

Eldar. The teenage pianist already is ``playing like Chick and Herbie
and all these guys,'' Roach says, referring to Chick Corea and Herbie
Hancock. ``One of the things we do at the festival is show off
emerging artists, and he's phenomenal.''

Dr. Lonnie Smith. The soulful, veteran organist is ``from a parallel
universe,'' Roach says. ``I keep joking that he drives such a deep
groove that they're going to have to bring dump trucks into the park
to fill in the groove when he leaves. Can you imagine thousands of
people in the park listening to Lonnie Smith?''

Dr. John. ``Can't get much more New Orleans than that. Well, maybe
the Nevilles.''

Sunday, Aug. 20

The San Jose Jazz Society Orchestra. Roach is still looking for just
the right special guest soloist to play with the festival's big band
and maybe bring along some charts. ``We took a survey earlier in the
year,'' he says, ``and one of the things people wanted was to have
more quality big band music, and we're going to give it to them.''

Bud Shank. The great alto saxophonist, a linchpin of West Coast jazz
for decades, is ``going to be 80 this year; he just doesn't stop. If
you listen to him and his progress as a player over the years, he
just keeps getting better. And there's a lesson in that: Excellence
is something you continually have to work at.''

The Spanish Harlem Orchestra. Roach calls these Grammy winners ``the
best salsa band in the country.''

The Neville Brothers. ``Oh, boy. The Nevilles used to be in the
Meters. I can remember being a teenager, standing outside the bars
listening to the Meters play. I can't wait for this one. It's going
to be New Orleans time.''

San Jose Jazz Festival

Aug. 17-20 on nine downtown stages

Aug. 17: Gala kickoff at Santana Row with trumpeter Kermit Ruffins
and his Barbecue Swingers

Aug. 18-20: Acts include Dr. John, the Neville Brothers, Dr. Lonnie
Smith, Eldar, Bud Shank, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Bill Mays, Pete
Escovedo, Andy Narell, Tom Harrell, Sonny Landreth

Information: (408) 288-7557