[Dixielandjazz] For the old folks on the DJML

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 18:39:31 PDT 2006

April 24, 2006 - Clarion Ledger (Mississippi) - Associated Press (snip)

93-year-old honored for musical passion named one of 20 Ageless Heroes

GREENWOOD ‹ Marcus "Tink" Spencer, 96, loves to play his saxophones . . .
bought his latest instrument, a soprano sax, at the ripe old age of 93.

His longtime passion for music caused him to be named as one of 20
Mississippi Ageless Heroes by BlueCross BlueShield of Mississippi. . .

"I don't know that I've had many accomplishments since turning 65 - but I
believe that being able to play in the Greenwood Community Concert Band and
a Dixieland group gives me more satisfaction than anything else," he said.
"I do love music, and being able to blow the saxophone means a lot to me."

Spencer and music go way back - to his childhood growing up in Winona. "They
didn't have bands when I was in high school. They had a little music
program. Really, more or less, we just got it up ourselves," he said.

(in high school) "I'd play the Washington & Lee Swing. It was the only piece
I knew," Spencer said. . . .

Spencer says the real key to longevity is to stay active. "Stay as active as
your health permits."Get involved in as many activities as possible. Don't
be a couch potato. Get out and exercise several times a week." (End Snip)

Yessir, Tink, keep swinging.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone