[Dixielandjazz] Names on labels

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 20 09:08:22 PDT 2006

  I remember when the band leader's name was on the record label in large
print, and all the sidemen's names in smaller print.  The singer's name was
also in very small print, if it was mentioned at all.

Hi Pat,

I think your memory must have played you false there.  It depended on who
the company were `selling`. Just like theatre billboards.

Paul Whiteman and his Band and no mention of sidesmen.
Maybe mention of his singing group but no mention of  Bing Crosby
A few years down the pike and it would be Crosby`s name heading the label.

Singers certainly made the top of the label if they were big enough names.
Sidesman, almost never.

Cheers

Pat