[Dixielandjazz] Playing For Free.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Apr 19 11:27:58 PDT 2006

How about this I'm answering my own letter.  Years ago I walked into a bar
that had a trio playing.  Not quite as a sit in invitation band but the
drummer knew who I was and asked me to sit in.  This was a very nice place
and I happened to have my horn in the car and the band was good so why not.
The owner of the place liked me and I ended up with a three night, six week
gig.  This was very good because I needed the money but it was 1964 and the
band was Black.  Someone on the school board took exception and I lost my
job at the end of that school year.  They couldn't say that was the reason
but rather that I had signed in my contract that I wouldn't have outside
employment.

I think that gig actually changed my life for the better.  I moved into the
big city where gigging possibilities were much greater and I never again
agreed to any silly things.  That free sit in got me a six week gig and a
new life.
Larry
St. Louis