[Dixielandjazz] Missing sections in " Minstrels of Annie Street" - in Anderson Fake Sheet collection

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 18 13:51:28 PDT 2006

I had realized that I'd never finished the lead sheet
for Minstrels of Annie Street (by Mfelvin "Turk" Murphy)
when I stumbled back on it today,
---- so I went ahead and finished it --- NOT!

I discovered that the lead sheet in the Chas. Anderson fake book is grossly
incomplete.  As I've evidence of several folks on this forum using this source,
I thought I'd point out this fact.

It is missing,at least:
(1) The intro played by most bands,
(2) The base melody (or concept) for the clarinet and piano solos
   (which would be a 2nd full melody (16 bars)
 (3) final melody that the some solos are based on and on which band "rides"
     for several choruses including the "out" chorus.

I'm not asking for anything. This is just a warning for the new person collecting
sources for tunes. I, fortunately, had bought  an arrangement from Ted Schafer, of the
Jelly Roll Jazz Band that includes the missing parts so I can in fact finish the lead sheet format.
It's worth it. It's a good piece.

Older and more frequent players will, of course play it from hearing
the record or other bands hundreds of times. So this is just
for the "newbie." Be forwarned.

This is not the only thing missing in that fake sheet collection, but it is
perhaps the most flagrant that I have found so far, amongst the more commonly played tunes..

Craig Johnson
The Maine Street Paraders.