[Dixielandjazz] Re: Avoidance/evasion

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Apr 18 08:35:09 PDT 2006

I know things have gone up and prices aren't the same as in 1965 but this
year I paid more in taxes than my first house and new car cost.  I told my
Grandson that if gasoline prices go up at the same rate he will be paying
$25 a gallon for gas or whatever they are using then when he is my age.  The
only thing that hasn't gone up at that rate is musicians pay.  If it did We
would be making $250 a night and that would be an average pay gig.  In 1965
I was regularly getting $25-30 a night and with everything about 10 times
higher than it was the rate should be today in the $200-300 range.  I was
getting $110 for my trio.  I paid the other two guys $30 each.  Lots of guys
around here are happy as bugs to get $50 a night.  Now that's not the top
tier of players but they only get about $100-125.  Mercifully the gigs are
now usually three hours instead of four as was in 1965.

What were you making in 1965 for a 4 hour gig?
Larry
St. Louis