[Dixielandjazz] Elkhart Festival Price reduction until Monday!

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sat Apr 15 16:01:43 PDT 2006

Thanks to Hal for posting that HE received an email announcing that the
lower priced tickets for the Elkhart Festival would still be effective
THROUGH Monday instead of just today.  That should help a couple people
due to my "late" post last night.  He is a patron, whereas I am not,
which may explain why I was not told that.  Therefore, I ordered my
ticket a week ago to beat the Sat. deadline.  I will look for his hat,
but I may not be allowed in his area. of seating. I will wave however.
Look for someone with NO hat, glasses, and wearing all blue. Wave back.

almost all the other kinds of jazz he also likes, I can only say what I
was told, after I skipped one year. They tried to go almost all modern
jazz, with just a few token early swing players along with the token
dixieland band.  I was not alone in not going.  Like Hal, I enjoyed the
diversity of the original concept for that festival. by the original
music director. Close to half and half.

I got to hear musicians I had only heard of, but probably would not have
gone to hear elsewhere at a modern jazz festival.  Likewise  the so
called "straight ahead"  modern jazz fans got to hear musicians who play
primarily swing, perhaps for the first time. I think it was a good
concept and should have continued. I am curious what other list members
think about that? Don't ask why the concept was changed. It could get
ugly. :-)

Most of the mixing and matching worked because many of "our" musicians
felt at home in both genre's as did many of "theirs". Randy Sandke, for
example, sounded as good  playing with a very modern Sax player, as he
did with the 20's and 30's music.  There were many examples of this at
Elkhart.

 Currently that day seems past. Maybe another major festival will try it
again someday to the extent of the original Elkhart Festival. Would it
work today? Some people who go to Sacramento still get upset if there is
anything but trad music.

Lowell aka Mad Dawg