[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bud Freeman 100 years anniversary.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 14 17:59:08 PDT 2006

Regarding: April 10, 2006 Edition - NY SUN  Arts and Letters by Will
Friedwald. "The Traditionalist Who Made the Sax Modern Bud Freeman at 100."

Dear Steve,
A good summary and a fine tribute to Mr Bud Freeman.
Thank you for forwarding it on.
However, in the last paragraph Mr Friedwald  mentions a recording session
that I do not know about, and have been unable to verify.

*Freeman did a 1945 album for Capitol with guitarist Carl Kress that was
much more in the up-to-date swing style.
[I assume that he is not referring to the Freeman December 1953 Capitol
dates (with George Barnes.)
Can any DJMLers help with details?

I first met and chatted with Bud Freeman when the Eddie Condon Band came to
Australia in March 1964 and was later fortunate to be one of his minders
when he came to the annual Australian Jazz Convention in December 1975.
I also attended the recording session on 10 Jan 1976 and wrote the
subsequent Swaggie S1367 album notes for 'Bud Freeman with Bob Barnard's
Jazz Band'. It's now available, including the 'bonus' Opera House Concert
performance on Swaggie CD 402. (A blatant free plug for my Swaggie mate,
Nevill Sherburn!)
Bud was an extremely interesting person and a wonderful storyteller.
At that time I was preparing the cover notes for a Swaggie LP (S1358)
'Chicago Styled. Vol. 2' featuring the Eddie Condon Orch [1933] and Bud
Freeman's Famous Chicagoans [1940] and needed additional background
information, which Bud kindly and willing provided.
Kind regards,
Bill.