[Dixielandjazz] What Now?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 11:13:28 PDT 2006

Yep:  it is becoming standard procedure with many wine and arts
festivals and city or chamber of commerce  sponsored
events.  Many are using the old self insured clause for not buying and
providing Public Liability insurance for their events, and make all
vendors and festival participants provide liability insurance coverage
naming them as additional insureds.   Total B.S.  but they are getting
away with it.

My liability policy now costs me $1,250.00 a year.

and yes indeed I am CRAZY AS  LOON  BECAUSE I DO EXPECT TO GET PAID TO
PLAY MUSIC,

When one of those idiots says something like that to me I offer to
perform Free Brain surgery for them on my days off, or unplug their
plumbing that is obviously affecting their brain operation.  :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins   Who's Liable to refuse to play for FREE.

I told the venue to eliminate or modify that clause or get another band.
They said wait, they'll check with their attorney to see if they can't
modify the clause to suit me.

And then, the other day, I heard a story from a fellow bandleader that a
prospective client told him "he must be crazy if he expected to be paid
play music." (do we wonder where a client might get that idea?)

What now? Must we insure the venues and play for free? Has anyone else
experienced either kind of BS, or just me?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone