[Dixielandjazz] Playing in a Military Band

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 13 14:23:56 PDT 2006

Tom Wiggins posted a note from a guy wondering about playing in a military
band.

That is a good gig for a musician. Three musicians that I revere, played in
Military Bands. All are excellent musicians.

Two stayed in for 20+ years, retiring as Master Sargent and Master Chief
Petty Officer. Both had many opportunities to gig on the side while in the
service and both play jazz extremely well.

Mac McClaeb, our original cornet guy was a 30 year Navy Man and swung his
butt off. Our CD "To Mac With Love" was dedicated to him.

Others I know retired and played in Count Basie's Band etc., and another
ended up in the Philadelphia Orchestra. Military Bands are probably one of
the best paid musician gigs you can get these days and lots of big band work
in the jazz/swing idiom. Our late listmate Jim Beebe paid some of his dues
in a Marine Band 50 years ago.

Great way to pay your dues, retire before you hit 50 and work on the outside
after that.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone