[Dixielandjazz] Re: [australian-dance-bands] Jazz in pre-WW2 Italy

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Wed Apr 12 08:18:01 PDT 2006

Dear Ross,
Almost irrelevant, but Louis Armstrong was among the pioneers. Two photos in
Jazz Away From Home by Chris Goddard (Paddington Press, 1979) shows him
playing in Turin in1934. British bands did a lot of European shows,
especially Jack Hylton. Perhaps Nat Gonella was drawn to Italy-in The Nat
Gonella Story by Ron Brown (Milestone,1985), Nat says "For a showbiz
connection we can go back to the 15th century when an Italian nobleman,
Nicolo d'Este, had a jester named Gonella"! Regards.

Fred