[Dixielandjazz] Musician vacations

Zenith at ANS zenith at ans.com.au
Mon Apr 10 16:14:29 PDT 2006

Hi List,

Our experience after playing some 30 or so countries over the last 15 or so
years, suggests that paperwork can usually be avoided by simply not
mentioning you are a musician and going through customs separately.  In the
cases where your passport actually says 'musician', if questioned, you are
on holiday and/or "now retired" with "hobby" playing only.  As far as the
tax man is concerned even musicians are allowed to go on vacation.

We always sign our UK declarations saying our fees never exceed our airfares
from Sydney.  We usually try to visit more than one country and contra total
travel expenses against each country we visit if necessary.
(Did I really give that hot tip out loud and for free too? - Hope Bob
Ringwald does not have any taxmen/inland revenue people on this list)

Any CDs can be labelled "not for sale" and/or "promotional material".  We
always travel with stacks of unassembled CDs on each musician without jewel
cases, artwork being located elsewhere and carried by another so the product
is not immediately saleable on one person.  We have heard of a case in
Germany where they confiscated CDs but they were returned again upon exit
from the country.  However I think my friend Bill Haesler would know this
yarn better where one band member did a Hitler goose march/salute past the
customs officers and this was the main reason for the Australian contingent
having a problem in Germany.  We always pre-purchase a few hundred jewel
cases in each country we visit although in Montreux Switzerland we sold them
for more money in 'back-up' slim plastic sleeves when we ran out.  At the
Portland Oregon Jazz Festival in USA we actually sold out of all the CDs we
carried that year (2002 I think).  When entering/leaving USA, for example,
we all split up and ignore each other when going through customs instead of
looking like a group or band.  We also travel with a few partners who tend
to make us look less conspicuous and more like seniors on vacation.  So
there you have it, one good advantage of being an older OKOM person.

However, I do admit that the 9/11 new restrictions by the Dept of Homeland
Insecurity, will make things a little more difficult for us in USA now.  If
any agent/festival promoter will do a deal with us we can play for "free"
(and/or expenses) but we would charge a one CD entrance price per person to
hear the band play.  If engagement probabilities arise I would arrange to
have the CDs produced locally.

Playing in UK July/August - Advert coming out soon.
Gospel service with Big Al Carson from New Orleans.
Tom (blatantly looking for 2007 gigs in Europe/USA) Wood
www.sydneyzenith.com