[Dixielandjazz] Playing on the streets

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 18:08:31 PDT 2006

Hi Dave and all:

Again let me state that I have no intentions in my posts at any
specific UNION  BASHING, and Dave knows I am certain by now that I
respect him and his position and how well his local union apparently
works for him.   That being said I am speaking of how things are on the
West Coast with two Major City locals and a number of smaller locals in
the Rural areas of California.

I honestly can't remember the last time I heard any musician in these
parts even mention the Union, it is as if it does not exist in this
part of the country.

And yes :))  Mr. Patrillo was a bit of a scoundrel just like Jimmy Hofa
was and a lot more of that ilk.

And to be further honest the last time I worked as a member of the
Union it was a MPF job which was pathetic at best and for less money
than I had ever worked for, and was not even worth going to the gig.  I
moved over to the Orchestra Leaders of America organization shortly
after that situation and simply never gave the AFofM another look in
the rear view mirror.

Since I ALWAYS paid my men more than Union Scale anyway we had nothing
further to discuss and they had little or nothing to offer me, like the
big deal they offered at the time,  a $2,000.  death benefit was not to
impressive to a 20 something year old with the bull  by the horns and
the thought of playing gigs at that level of pay for 50 years or more
to retire was unthinkable, then and still is today.

It works fine for Symphony players on big time salaries and long term
contracts, which is primarily what the Union catered to and all the
guys on the street level and bars and restaurants were simply in a dog
eat dog world and pretty much on their own.   If there were any gigs
that came into the union hall in those days, they were quickly grabbed
up by the good ole boys and board and staff members and rarely did any
musician outside the circle get a call for a gig.   Had a bunch of old
guys hanging out at the hall everyday and one band in particular I
remember well,  Curly Gold and his Texas Tunetwisters, they got any
call for Country and he often also got gigs that the band was totally
incapable of playing because he was in the in crowd,  Wow were they a
lame band. :))

We also had a BLACK UNION here in those days as well which was the only
way any Black guys could get a union gig, except for two Black guys
that worked in the union office with the good old boys so they could
score some gigs.   Nice guys and I am still friends with one of them
although I never hired him for a gig, the other guy died without
working with any of my bands either.  Both called all the time looking
for gigs but never once did they have a gig for any of my guys from the
Union hall.  They were always a bit jealous because my guys made more
money than they did.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins