[Dixielandjazz] Tape squeal

Gerard Bielderman gerard.bielderman at tiscali.nl
Sun Apr 9 00:51:33 PDT 2006

Here's a solution I heard from an old Dutch radio technician. I use it on my
Akai GX-4000D tape recorder. It has a recording head, erase head and
reproduction head. I paste invisible, age resistent, not shiny sellotape
over the recording and erase heads and.... the squealing disappears! The
sellotape has to be replaced regularly. The music on several of my Scotch
tapes has been rescued in this way. The tapes themselves are getting worser
and worser. I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the tapes. I
started with a tape recorder in August 1961 and bought Philips tapes. These
tapes can still be played while Scotch, some Sony, some Concertape can be
thrown away.

Gerard Bielderman / Leie 18 / 8032 ZG  ZWOLLE / Netherlands
Publisher of jazz discographies