[Dixielandjazz] playing on the streets

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Apr 9 01:48:16 PDT 2006

Shalom Jazz Fans,

I just had to chime in on this thread.  Those who have been following my
skyrocketing career in Israel know that I started by playing solo banjo on
our downtown Jerusalem pedestrian mall some 10 years ago. By myself I
typically made about $10 per hour playing and singing in costume, and also
pausing now and then to give balloons to kids. With a 3-4 piece band, we
generally do closer to $15 per hour per player, plus CD sales. It won't make
you rich, but done consistently, it provides a nice piece of pocket change,
in addition to many other benefits.

I met most of the musicians I work regularly with by playing on the street.

Most of the gigs I get either solo or with the band have been a result of
people hearing us on the street.

When the Jerusalem Symphony needed a banjo player for a Gershwin concert,
they knew about me because someone heard me playing on the street, and
that's how I got the job.

A full page article about me and my band with pictures was published in the
Jerusalem Post because the editor heard me playing in the street.

I have been on Israeli and international TV numerous times because I was
playing near where they were shooting a story, and I or my band either had a
spot in the background, or sometimes even a moment of fame in the
foreground. (I have not been paid for these bits, other than maybe a few
shekels in the hat from the producer. I think if you're going to play
outside in public, you have to be ready for that and chalk it up to
advertising. On the other hand, if someone has needed a band for a studio
job, I have gotten work like that at regular rates.)

We often use the time street performing to break in or try out new players
or to learn new songs. It's a low pressure gig and the audience is just glad
you're there, and is not critical of mistakes, especially if you tell them a
song or a player is new.

Many of my customers are from communities I would not have targeted for
advertising. I have learned from the street that our music has a much
broader appeal than I would have given it credit for. You have to give
people a chance to hear it.

I could pay a bundle for an ad in the Jerusalem Post --- "Doctor Jazz
Dixieland Band for hire!" -- and nobody would understand what kind of music
we play. They don't know what Dixieland is, and "jazz" doesn't exactly help
to describe it. All they know is, when they hear it, they like it. Who cares
what it's called?!

As someone suggested, we have had good experience crashing events where our
music is appropriate, and we are not interfering with the program. :Last
summer we crashed a street fair, and before our first set was over, the
organizers came over and hired us for the following night of the event. This
year we have our sights set on the Red Sea Jazz Festival in Elat. We're not
yet of a caliber to get hired to perform there, but there's a nice long
boardwalk and lots of hotels and restaurants that just might consider some
kind of deal to have us play for them.

Just a few examples from our success story. I have also recruited some
students from playing in the street, and occasionally one goes on to perform
with me or the band. There are those who have been critical of me for street
performing, or others who respect me for it but are afraid to try it
themselves (they think it is unprofessional). But after 10 years I'm still
sold. Not to mention that we have the gratitude of the city and the police
for helping to create a positive atmosphere in town during our troubled
times. I can live with that.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel
www.israel.net/ministry-of-jazz
+972-2-679-2537

P.S. My mother told me to learn to play a musical instrument. She said it
would keep me off the streets. Sorry, Mom.