FW: [Dixielandjazz] Re: dat,minidisc, cdr etc.etc.

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Fri Apr 7 14:10:09 PDT 2006

Of course it's nice to have state-of-the-art recordings, but
don't forget that's not what jazz is about.
Armstong's hot five in  Hi-Fi stereo etc. would have
been nice, but we can listnen right through it.
It's not the quality of the recordings that matter,
it's the quality of the music!
That's what makes OKOM so special.
E.g. I've played with a famous Dutch trumpet
player lately. He lost his lips, lost his technique,
but I could hear what he meant to play and loved
every minute of it (For the curious among you I'm talking about
Ray Kaart, DSC in the sixties). That's what
jazz is all about.
I did a trumpet duet with Don Goldie in the eighties,
recorded it poorly, but still love every note he
played. Jazz is special. It's the heart that matters.
A good recording a bonus, but not a necessity.

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl