[Dixielandjazz] Re: Two Female Questions

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 1 21:15:33 PST 2006

Dear Fred,
'Betty Lowther was the pseudonym used for singer Peg La Centra on the Artie
Shaw NBC Thesaurus transcriptions made in New York on 13 July 1937.
She made her first record (for Brunswick) as Peg La Centra, with Victor
Young's Orch on 23 Jan 1934 - "This Little Piggy Went To Market".
She was the Artie Shaw band singer from his first record date on 11 June
1936 up to her last with Shaw on 4 August 1937.
She also recorded under her own name, 'Jerry Sears Session with Peg La
Centra', for Bluebird on 20 Oct 1938. (I have never heard these sides.)
Baldwin Music (#312) have recently released a 2-CD set of Peg La Centa's
complete recordings, 1934-46. Worlds records has it in stock. I have been
toying with the idea of buying it, but already have the Artie Shaw sides.
She did not record with Benny Goodman's Rhythm Makers (Thesaurus
transcriptions), which is why she doesn't get a mention (as Betty Crowther
or Peg LaCentra) in the wonderful Russell Connor 'Listen To His
Legacy/Wrappin' It Up' Goodman bio/discographies.
The Rhythm Makers recordings by Goodman (50 titles made in one session - 6
June 1935) have no vocals. They are currently on a Jasmine CD (JASCD 409).
Great stuff  too.
Now to tackle your Ilse Weinberger/Glenn Miller query.
Are you sure it was Glenn Miller?
Just kidding.
8>)
Kind regards,