[Dixielandjazz] NCIS Music

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Fri Sep 30 00:13:11 PDT 2005

How are you, Ross?

I don't recall a tune called "Viper" in "Ain't Misbehavin'". I do know that
Fats wrote "Viper's Drag". There were also many other compositions with the
word "Viper" in the title. Sidney Bechet wrote "Viper Mad", Stuff Smith
recorded "You'se a Viper", Mezz Mezzrow wrote "Sending The Vipers", the
Quintette from the Hot Club of France recorded "Viper's Dream" and so on.
Several songs also mentioned vipers within the lyrics. I believe Cab
Calloway sang at least one.

The term "viper" was used in the 1920's and '30s to indicate someone who
used marijuana.

Stan
Stan Brager