[Dixielandjazz] Getting Gigs

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 28 20:06:08 PDT 2005

Mike Vax at Vaxtrpts at aol.com wrote

> Most of you know that I agree with most of Steve's insights and feelings
> about OKOM and even more modern forms of jazz.  So, Steve, this message is
> going to be a little bit of a departure for me.

OK, it is always a good thing to be straightforward and you are a stand up
guy. No problem for me.

> I must admit that sometimes I get a little tired of you're telling us that
> we don't do it "right" as far as promoting jazz music.  You have set up a
> wonderful arena for yourself over many years in a certain area and it really
> works well for you.
> BUT - out in the real world of the rest of this country, gigs are hard to
> find.  You make it sound like we either don't even try, or we are too inept
> to be the "booking guru" that you are.

Mike, gigs are hard to find everywhere. I am not going after those who try,
but those who do not try. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. If the
"we" is not "you" then ignore the message.

> Well, I know of LOTS of bandleaders and musicians who do try to get as many
> gigs as they can, but their whole year wouldn't add up to one month of your
> schedule. (or maybe even less)  They do what local advertising they can,  they
> even play free bees (which I hate) sometimes to try to get into more  places.
> The reality out in the real world is not what you talk  about.  Many places
> and people do NOT want to pay even bare minimum wages  for musicians to
> perform.

Here I disagree. The Philadelphia market is no different from the rest of
the world. When I started here 15 years ago, everybody told me I would not
succeed with getting paying gigs for a Dixieland Band . . . EVERYBODY. Most
clubs here want to pay a max of $300 for a gig, regardless of band size. And
like those you mention, I found most advertising for gigs, and most free
bees to be unproductive. No venues here are looking for a Dixieland Band and
I am not selling a band, but rather what the band will do for the venue.

> You have talked about old people's homes hiring your band......
> I know for a fact that there are many old people's homes out here on  the
> West Coast that have NO budget for entertainment.  They rely on friends  and
> relatives to come and perform for free for their tenants.  In some  cases,
> some
> of the tenants still play a little and that is the entertainment  that they
> have.

It is the same here. Most of the old peoples homes have no entertainment
budget. BUT, some of the CCRC's which are retirement complexes like Leisure
World in Walnut Creek do have budgets. And others have "Resident's
Associations" which chip in to hire entertainment like us. I have developed
those that can come up with the money. Virtually ALL, even the small
Assisted Living homes ones, a Christmas budget and we get paying trio &
quartet work in December at them too

> You talk about booking in schools that are willing to pay you to be  there.
> Well, in California, many schools have almost no budget for  ANYTHING to do
> with music any more.  They can't afford to buy new  instruments or in some
> cases
> even new music.  How would they pay a band to  come and entertain?  Also,
> many schools out here have NO assemblies what so  ever, any more.

I have posted many times that many of our school gigs, especially the
elementary schools are funded by the Parent Teacher Organizations. Donations
from the parents pay the assembly bill for us. HUNDREDS of schools in
California have this ability to generate funds, as do THOUSANDS of schools
in the rest of the country. I shared that information several times and will
bet it went totally ignored by just about 100% of the band leaders on the
DJML. Let me  repeat PTO's are the funding source. I am happy to relate that
we got to the PTO's when their members heard us at the many public park
concerts, Restaurant Festival Concerts, etc., that we do in the area every
year. Those types of concerts are READILY AVAILABLE to bands ALL OVER THE
COUNTRY.

> I book the Kenton Alumni Big Band every year on a tour of high schools and
> colleges. It gets harder and harder every year.  And -- that is with
> donations
> to our nonprofit that allow me to keep the cost of the band lower than  the
> other "road" big bands.
> My big band in the bay area does a concert series at a wonderful  theater.
> We have a mailing list of 1400 people who SIGNED UP to be on  it.  We are
> lucky
> to get more than 200 people.  Again, the musicians  and guest artists are
> paid by donations to our nonprofit.

Of course it is harder for a BIG band to exist. Always has been. I'm
basically talking about the usual six piece Dixieland Bands which have a
broader audience base and appeal than a Kenton Big Band. Plus the
performance costs are quite a bit cheaper.

> I could go on and on, with examples, but I think you get the picture.
> You know that I respect you and I applaud you for what you have been able  to
> do for many years, but please don't say that it is "our own fault" that the
> music doesn't have as big an audience as it used to.  Many of us are trying
> our best.

Once again Mike, if the message doesn't fit you, don't listen to it. Don't
be upset and include yourself in the general pool of those small bands which
cannot get gigs because they do not try. But make no mistake about my belief
that it is "our" own fault that the music has no audience. Basically,
because contrary to what you and I do, most of the rest do not play where
the kids are. Nor do they make any attempt to do so.

Regarding "trying our best", an old business mentor of mine, (day gig times)
loved to shoot that expression down. He would always say "Trying your best,
or doing your best is not enough because it implies that there is no room
for improvement." He viewed that expression as a management cop-out. His
name? W. Edwards Deming (PhD). He is the man who set Japan on its post World
War 2 rise to industrial leadership over the USA. Well worth a google
search, because he is the basic reason we buy Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans in
the USA instead of Chevys, Fords and Chryslers. Doing what is right was his
mantra, not doing one's best. Like if something is not worth doing, then it
is not worth doing well either.

> OK - I got that one off my chest and I hope we are still friends!

I hope we are still friends too Mike. Who needs friends that won't tell you
like it is? You are an excellent musician and a stand up guy, what's not to
like?

Above all, (everybody else) please don't shoot the messenger. ;-) VBG. But
rather ask for my 10 page tome on how we got to our target audience.

Cheers,
Steve